Thursday, June 20, 2013

Bye, Bye Brown….Maybe?

If you have followed the blog for awhile you'll know that I have been itching to get rid of the brown accent wall in the family room since forever. I am not a fan of accent walls and after years of diaper changes, Valley Forge Brown no longer reminds me of milk chocolate.



So up the ladder I went & started painting the wall to match the rest of the family room (and kitchen for that matter). After one coat of paint on the first side I stopped. Partly because the wall needed to dry before I could lean the ladder against it to apply the second coat, but also because I sort of miss the brown. Dare I say that, but without the depth and contrast of the darker color the room actually feels smaller and very bland.  (Yes that is House Hunters on the TV.)





 What's a gal to do? Head to Pinterest of course. After perusing my boards I came up with two viable solutions.

1. Swap out the current rug with the one in the nursery. 

Perhaps this addition of color with break up the monochromatic scheme of the floor & walls.

Nursery Rug: A soft blue gray
Family room rug: Taupe & Ivory

2. Whitewash the fireplace. 

I love the warmth and character of the fireplaces in the photos below. (Totally off topic, but isn't that master dreamy!)




And just for fun, I played around in PicMonkey quickly to get a sense of how it would look.




Once the baby wakes up, I'm off to snatch the rug out from under him…quite literally. I'll be back with an update tomorrow and in the meantime feel free to let me know your thoughts. Would you ditch the brown walls? What about whitewashing the fireplace?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! I love reading each of them. Have a great one.