Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Burlap Beauty

Above the piano in the living room is my great grandmother's Venetian glass mirror. During the Christmas holiday I hung a wreath on it and instantly fell in love with the look. Seeing as it is March, the wreath has since come down, but I am happy to have finally gotten around to creating a replacement. 
diy burlap bow wreath

The best part of all, it took less than 10 minutes to make and cost under $3.00. So when it finally comes time to decorate the living room (right now it is simply a mishmash of placeholder furniture) I won't feel a ounce of guilt about not using it in the new design. In fact, I think it will eventually find a home outside, but for now I'm delighted to have it gracing our mirror.

burlap bow diy

It all began when I rescued a well weathered Christmas wreath from the garbage pile in the basement. 


Using a pair of scissors, I removed the old floral pics until I was left with the bare wreath. 



Then I took a spool of burlap ribbon I picked up at Hobby Lobby, made a bow and attached it with a brown pipe cleaner.

burlap wreath


Tada instant, burlap bowification! And as an added bonus, the bow ties in with the burlap lampshades across the room (you can catch a glimpse of them in the mirror's reflection).

venetian glass mirror

 How about you, have you burlaped, bowed or up-cycled anything lately? Or maybe you've got a lovely antique your home that needs a little tweaking. I'd love to hear what changes you've been up to.

4 comments:

  1. I just love burlap and use it all the time! There is a Hobby Lobby that opened up about a half an hour away from us. Do you think it is worth the drive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would certainly check it out at least once. I have found some fabulous steals there but also left empty handed several times. They post their sale flyers online so I would probably check them out and drive out there when they have 50% off items you are looking for (glassware/garden/picture frames etc.). If you do check it out, let me know your thoughts:)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking a minute to share your thoughts with me! I love reading each of them. Have a great one.